Senior Java / GIS Developer in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 28,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer – Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
General Dynamics IT has an opening for a Senior Java / GIS Developer in Bay St. Louis, MS.
Active DOD Secret Security clearance is required. Candidates that are eligible for a Secret clearance may be considered.
General Summary: Researches, designs, develops and/or modifies enterprise-wide systems and/or applications software.
• Designs and codes software components, units, and modules that meet product specifications and development schedules.
• Performs systems modeling, simulation, and analysis.
• Tests and debugs assigned components and units.
• Participates in large system and subsystem planning.
• Writes and updates technical documentation such as user manuals, system documentation, and training materials.
• Troubleshoots problems and provides customer support for software operating systems and application issues.
• Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
• Participates in special projects as required
Skills and Abilities:
• Comprehensive knowledge of software engineering principles, methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of the associated hardware, software, and equipment.
• Develop GIS enabled Java web based software solutions with an Agile Development team. Development efforts will encompass all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle: Requirements, Design, Implementation, Deployment, and Maintenance.
• Work in conjunction with Agile Development team on assigned user stories.
• Participate or lead daily stand-up, retrospectives, launches, and customer demonstrations.
• Develop user stories assigned/selected using a structured development methodology in accordance with company/office/project standards and designs.
• Integrate solutions with development, staging, and operational environments.
• Provide direct support for operational GIS web based system by accepting trouble calls. Document, debug and resolve or create user story sufficient to bring the system back into conformance.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a curriculum or major field of study which provides substantial knowledge useful in managing large, complex AIS projects, is closely related to the work to be automated, and/or in a computer science, information system, a physical science, engineering or a mathematics – intensive discipline, or an applicable training certificate from an accredited training institution.
6 years of relevant/related experience in addition to the required experience may be considered for substitution/equivalency of a Bachelor’s degree.
5+ years of increasingly complex and progressive experience in performing systems analysis, development, and implementation for business, mathematical, engineering or scientific settings using a variety of information technology resources. Experience with current technologies and emerging technologies.
Required Skills, Qualifications or Experience:
• ESRI web based GIS web technologies
• Linux and Windows operating systems
• Experience with web based application development
• Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner to various audience levels (technical, managerial, customer)
Preferred Skills, Qualifications or Experience:
• Agile Software Development
• DoD Software Development
• Oracle experience (at least one project)
• Geoserver experience (at least one project)
• Understanding of network communications sufficient to support web service interaction
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is typically performed in an office environment, which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment.
The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal (essential) functions of this job.
General Dynamics Information Technology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V).