Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Radar Remote Sensing of Glaciers
A position as a Postdoctoral research fellow is available at the Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo, Norway. The fellowship is until February 2018, or possibly up to 4 years. Starting date as soon as possible.
We invite applications for a challenging postdoctoral research fellowship in radar remote sensing of glaciers. The successful candidate will quantify and analyse ice flow and glacier volume changes on local to global scale, mainly using state-of-the-art radar remote sensing methods, such as radar interferometry and offset tracking. The candidate will be part of a lively research environment in cold regions sciences, in particular in remote sensing, geoinformatics, glaciology, geomorphology and geohazards. The position includes collaboration with a number of international partners, and the successful candidate will have opportunity to participate in international research networks. The position is funded through an Advanced Grant by the European Research Council. A description of the related project can be found under http://mn.uio.no/icemass.
The position is affiliated with the Section for Physical Geography and Hydrology, which has longterm experience in investigating the terrestrial cryosphere (snow, glaciers, permafrost) and is involved in various high-level research projects and centers.
The candidate should have a strong background and interest in
- Radar response to snow and ice;
- Radar interferometry and differential interferometry;
- Radar offset tracking;
- Programming (Matlab, IDL, Python, or similar languages) and geoinformatics
- Glaciological theory and practice.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent in remote sensing/geomatics, glaciology or related fields.
For more information please see:
Alternatively, for information in Norwegian:
A good command of English is required.
The University of Oslo is an equal opportunity employer and seeks in particular to increase its number of female scientists. Women are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.
Position code 1352 (Postdoc), Pay Grade: 57-64 (from 482 800 to 549 400 000 NOK/year, depending on qualifications and seniority)
The application must include:
- Application letter including a statement of research interest
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work , and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates and transcript of records
- A complete list of publications and academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 referees (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
In accordance with the University of Oslo’s equal opportunities policy, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity.
UiO has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
Job type: Contract
Working hours: Full-time
Working days: Day
Application deadline: 8 March 2015
Reference number: 2015/1801
Home page: http://www.geo.uio.no