Curtin University – Sarawak (Malaysia)
Curtin University (Sarawak Malaysia) are looking to recruit a senior Post-doctoral Research Fellow with expertise in GIS to conduct a three year research project to map land use/land cover and soil erosion risk in a large area of interior Sarawak, using Landsat/remote sensing.
The position is based at Curtin University (Miri) with some fieldwork in remote areas of Sarawak.
- PhD in GIS/Geography/Geology/remote sensing/ with strong emphasis on GIS
- Five to eight years relevant experience
Skills and knowledge
- Experience in conducting research involving digital mapping, land use/land cover and soil erosion risk mapping based on remote sensing data using digital technologies
- Expertise in Arc GIS, IDRISI software or comparable and RUSLE or similar model
- Minimum 5 years remote sensing and GIS experience
- Strong record of quality research publications in area of expertise
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, including supervise graduates and trainees
- Demonstrated ability to undertake significant research project from inception to completion, and deliver research outcomes within deadlines
- Experience in gathering ground truth data for remote sensing research, willingness and ability to travel in remote undeveloped areas of Sarawak to conduct field work
- Proficient in English. Knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia (or Iban) would be an additional asset
- Industry experience in relevant discipline is highly regarded
Job duties (include, but not limited to the following):
- Set-up and maintain project data base.
- Acquire digital and supporting data for land use/land cover and soil erosion mapping.
- Review project methodology, prepare guidelines for methodology and train graduate assistant and others in application of methods.
- Assess field work requirements, plan and carry out field work to obtain ground truth, including travel in remote undeveloped areas of Sarawak to conduct field work.
- Analyse data using appropriate methods, technologies, software.
- Review, report on, and improve methodology.
- Analyse and report on findings, including analysis of accuracy.
- Prepare project programs and reports and present findings to funding agency.
- Comply with project specifications and deadlines.
- Maintain coordination within project research team, contribute to meetings and progress reports. Supervise work of graduate assistant.
- Identify problems and areas of shortcomings.
- Maintain on-going literature review and research awareness throughout project; read professional publications.
- Prepare research outputs including project reports, peer-reviewed journal publications and conference papers.
Closing date: 20/3/2014