Massive Online Open Course “ Introduction to GIS”
24th November – 20th December 2014
The MOOC “Introduction to GIS” aims to show the use and potentiality of the open source software gvSIG in performing the most common operations during the workflow in a GIS environment. This Course is addressed to beginners as well as to skilled GIS users who want to learn how to use this software.
No advanced knowledge in computer science is required; participant only needs a computer, an internet connection and be enrolled in gvSIG Training website.
The Course will last four weeks with an approximate participant’s engagement of thirty hours during the whole course period.
Participants can thus plan individually the time to dedicate to the course and complete all the scheduled activities without interfering with their daily work.
Course timetable is made of thirteen topics grouped in four modules:
Introduction to main GIS concepts
Loading and view geographic data in gvSIG
Layers information: the attribute tables
Show geographic information through maps
After each topic the participants, should complete a test whose result will contribute to determine the individual final score.
Course participants will have access, for each single topic, to short video, training materials, exercises and additional contributions for specific subjects.
- This Course is completely free of charge except for participants who ask for the corresponding credits of the gvSIG user certification program from the gvSIG Association, that is submitted to the payment of 40€ and approving the above-mentioned tests.
- Computer with Windows or Ubuntu operating system.
- ADSL internet connection.
- Screen resolution of at least 1024 * 768.
- 1 GB of RAM, recommended at least 2 GB.
- Web browser Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Chrome.
- And be enrolled in gvSIG Training website
In the first half of 2015 two more MOOC on “Layer Editing” and “Raster Analysis” with gvSIG use are scheduled; participants who approve all the three courses, will accumulate the credits enough to receive the official gvSIG user certificate.
To enroll in the course enters the following link that will take you to the virtual classroom where you can self-enroll