5th Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing
8-12 September 2014,
University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
As part of the Scientific Exploitation of Operational Missions (SEOM) programme element, the European Space Agency (ESA) organises each year an advanced Land Training Course devoted to train the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists to exploit data from ESA and operational EO Missions for science and applications development.
Post graduate, PhD students, post . doctoral research scientists and users from European countries and Canada interested in Land Remote Sensing and its applications are invited to apply the 5 day course on the subject, which will be held at the University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain on 8-12 September 2014.
Research scientists and students from all other countries are also welcome to apply and participate to the course subject to space availability.
No participation fees will be charged but participants are expected to finance their own travel and accommodation expenses. The official language of the course is English.
The Advanced Land Training Course aims at:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- Explaining theoretical principles, processing algorithms, data products and their use in applications;
- Introducing tools and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data;
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of ESA EO and Third Party Mission data for land remote sensing science and applications.
The advanced course will provide a substantial and balanced introduction to the basic theory and applications related to land remote sensing. It will be organized around four main components:
- Theoretical fundamentals of spaceborne Optical, Thermal and SAR remote sensing;
- EO land applications lectures on Land Use and Land Cover, Terrain Motion, Hazards, Forest Bio-physical retrievals, Multi-temporal Analysis, Hot-Spot & Fire Detection, Hyperspectral and Lidar, Climate (Water and Carbon);
- Practicals using ESA toolboxes for scientific exploitation of EO data;
- EO data processing and product demonstration for land resources monitoring.
The training course will include formal lectures by leading scientists as well as hands-on computing exercises exploiting real and simulated data for science and application.
The number of participants is limited to a maximum of 70 students and subject to selection of application. Students wishing to participate can apply on-line via the training course website. The official language of the course is English.
Application Submission will be available from 20 January to 7 May 2014.
Notification of acceptance will be sent via e-mail by June 2014.
No participation fees will be charged for the training. Participants are expected to finance their own travel and accommodation expenses.
|Website Opening||6 December 2013|
|Application Submission (opening)||20 January 2014|
|Application Submission (closing)||7 May 2014|
|Notification of Acceptance||15 June 2014|
Read more about 5th Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing